Morning Announcements – Friday, January 9, 2015
1. Welcome to our Winter Spirit Day. Thanks for dressing up in white, just like the snow flying around outside.
2. 8th grade cooking and gardening club meets today in Mr. Ormsby's room. Please wash your hands before you arrive!
3. The middle school library will be closed from 1:00-1:30 on Friday, January 9th, for a grade level spelling bee. Thanks, Ellen
4. Thanks to the efforts of our students and staff, our Falcon Pride numbers were way up from the last two years for the month of December. This year we were at 785 total cards for the month, compared to 412 last year and 406 the year before. Kindness and Responsibility cards accounted for 81% of all of the cards. Grade 5 was tops for all grades with an average of 27 cards per day. Way to go!
5. Our next Activity Night is tonight. The grade 5 Activity Night runs from 4-6PM with an entry fee of $3. The grades 6-8 Activity Night runs from 6:30-9PM with an entry fee of $5. Grade 6-8 students from other towns may attend.
6. Boys’ Varsity Report - In contrast to the games before vacation, the varsity boys got off to a good start against the Hampden varsity, not allowing any open shots to their top scorers and jumping to a 10 to 2 lead at the end of the first quarter with all players participating in that first quarter. The second quarter found the boys holding onto their lead although giving up two three point shots near the end of the half to cut the lead to 20 to 14.
In the second half, the Falcons struggled to get the ball up the court against a pressing Hampden team. Taking very few shots, they managed only three points and repeatedly allowed the Hampden top scorer to shoot as Hampden surged to a 29 to 23 lead at the end of the third quarter. Inconsistency on offense continued to plague the Falcons as they again made only one field goal in the fourth quarter and fell to Hampden by a final score of 42 to 30.
Hunter Fernald, Atticus Deeny, Matt Burnett and Cam Cote led a strong rebounding effort in the first half to allow Hampden only one shot at the basket on each possession while getting several offensive rebounds to build the early lead.
Atticus and Isaac Wardwell led scorers with 7 points each, Connor Crawford had 6, Matt 4, Jackson 3, Cameron 2 and Hunter 1 point for the 29 point total.
The Falcons have a practice on Monday to regroup and try to get their record back to even against Emerson on Tuesday.
7. Girls’ Varsity Report - Even though our varsity girls lost the game at Hampden yesterday, there were actually many positives that Mr. Libby and Coach Mo explained to the girls after the game. If we had just been able to put the ball in the hoop it would have been a much better game! Thanks to Elise and Danaee for helping us out. Danaee scored her first varsity basket and Carli also scored her first point.
Practice tomorrow from 8 to 10.
8.Girls’ JV report - In basketball action last night the JV FALCON GIRLS lost to Hampden by a score of 26 to 16. The Elllsworth girls struggled to score and had a hard time keeping the taller Broncos from rebounding under the basket. Next game is Tuesday against Emerson.
9. The boys’ JV was victorious last night against Hampden.