Morning Announcements – Wednesday, January 14, 2015
1. Robotics Club permission forms are available in the office. Please return completed forms to Ms. Mattila or Ms. Mitchell. The first six students from each grade to return their forms will make up this year’s Robotics Club.
2. Congratulations to the following students for answering all seven questions correctly in the homeroom round of the National Geographic Bee: Tessa Lemoine, Riley Grindle, Emma Henry, and Cole Stevenson. These students will automatically be in next week’s School Finals of the bee. We’ll announce more automatic qualifiers as more results come in. We’ll then have a tiebreaker round for all of the students who answered 6 of 7 questions correctly so that we can fill the 10 available slots for the school finals next week.
3. This Friday is the school finals of the annual spelling bee. We’ll announce the four finalists from each grade tomorrow.
4. The 8th grade cooking and gardening club meets this Friday.
5. 8th graders who need more Morton’s Moo sales packets may pick them up from Mr. Newett.
6. Boys’ Varsity Report - The varsity boys had their hands full with a talented Emerson squad on Tuesday afternoon. In a nip‐and‐tuck first half, the Falcons took an 11 to 10 lead at the end of the first quarter but gave that up in the second quarter to trail 22 to 20 at the half. A twenty‐one point third quarter, though, with eight different players scoring appeared to give the Falcons control of the game at 41 to 28. Emerson had different ideas and came out firing getting right back in the game as the Falcons’ hurried shots produced no points for several minutes.
Tough defense though stalled the Emerson comeback and a couple of good shots gave the Falcons a small lead as the game entered the final seconds. A foul was called on the Falcons as time expired on a desperation half court heave and Emerson made two of three foul shots to send the game to overtime.
Overtime was a seesaw affair with Emerson leading until the last minute when the Falcons pulled into a tie and had possession with 30 seconds to go. A shot was missed and Emerson worked the ball to a player for a final shot that was partially blocked but still went in to give Emerson a 55‐53 victory.
Isaac led with 11 points, Connor C and Atticus had 10 each, Cameron 8, Jackson 6, Tyler 4 and Hunter and Matt 2 apiece.
The boys head to Old Town on Thursday with hopes using their big size advantage to get another win over Old Town. It won’t be easy though as the first game was very close.
7.The JV Girls played against Emerson last night and it was a great game from start to finish. The Falcons fell by a score of 34 to 28. Scoring for the young Falcons were: Jenna Ramsdell, Jocelyn Boudreau,Edie Salzig, Taylor Cark, and Kerrigan Andrews with all two points each. Kylie Robidoux had 4, Elise Dow with 6, and Autumn Paul tossed in a game high 8. Great work girls.
8. Our JV Boys were victorious over the Emerson Tigers and our Varsity Girls were defeated by the Tigers.