Morning Announcements – Wednesday, January 21, 2015
1. Congratulations to 8th graders Kara McDonough and Will Doty. Kara is our spelling bee champion and Will was runner up. Both will represent EEMS on February 9th at the Hancock County Spelling Bee. 6th grader Iraida Concepcion placed third in the bee and is our alternate for the County Bee.
2. Students who are not eating breakfast upon arrival are reminded to report to the gym. You are not to be hanging out in the breakfast area.
3. 8th graders who need more Morton’s Moo sales packets may pick them up from Mr. Newett. Thanks for selling, and remember that envelopes with order forms and money need to be turned in next Wednesday, January 28.
4. If you applied for Robotics Club, a notice addressed to you will be delivered to your homeroom on Thursday. Today is the last day that application forms for Robotics Club are being accepted. Please get your form to Ms. Mattila or Ms. Mitchell.
5. Art Club for grade 5 starts tomorrow from 2:45-3:45.
6. The 41 one students who got 6 of 7 questions correct in the homeroom round of the Geography Bee are to meet with Mr. Newett on Thursday morning at 8AM in the cafeteria for the tie breaking process.
7. There is no occupational therapy today. Mrs. Fredericks is out sick.
8. JV Boys’ Basketball from Coach Keene - Our JV Falcons visited their rival Bucksport team on Tuesday evening. The high pressure full court press put the JV Falcon boys' team ahead early by ten points. The boys from Bucksport rallied and fought back against the pressure better than any other team we have faced this season and narrowed the gap to within 2. As Mark Long rebounded over the larger Bucksport forward and got 5 of 6 of his put back shots to fall, the lead at half time went back to 6 points. Darby Barry dominated the glass the 2nd half and Austin Harris and Sam Holler took turns at the point guard spot dishing out assist after assist. Matt Reid sacrificed his body against a much bigger opponent and created defensive mayhem. He had the wind knocked out of him and had to leave the game but Matt is backed up by Michael Kazmierczak who started his first career game tonight and came back in to relieve Matt, who proved to be sore but absolutely OK by game's end. Beck Deeny played a little point guard tonight and helped hold off the Bucksport 2nd half surge. YOUR Ellsworth JV Boys' team got the hard fought win over Bucksport and took their record to 8-2 this season! MOST IMPORTANTLY... The Bucksport boys JV team met us entering the gym by shaking our hands, throwing high-fives, and saying hello. THEIR KIDDOS shook my hand after the game and said "thank you" to me. AMAZING SPORTSMANSHIP Bucksport. You should be proud.
9. Varsity Boys’ Basketball from Coach Burgess - The varsity boys knew they would have their hands full against the undefeated (10 and 0) Bucksport team. They tried to get things going right at the start and took a 4 to 2 lead only to have the offense stall and fall behind 14 to 6 at the end of the first quarter. In the second quarter some key baskets gave the Falcons momentum as they entered halftime trailing only by 3, 24 to 21. Building on that momentum, the boys pulled out to a double-digit lead in the third quarter only to give up a 3 pointer and a bunch of layups to fall behind 42 to 41 at the end of the quarter. The Falcons picked up their defensive intensity in the fourth quarter and held the Bucks to only 7 points as they pulled out a tense 50 to 49 win.
Isaac led the team with 19 points, Connor Crawford scored 16, Hunter had 9, Conner Wagstaff 4 and Jackson and Atticus had 2 apiece.
Tyler Mitchell and Connor Deraps provided strong defense and ball control in the first half to help turn the momentum in the Falcons’ favor and Matt Burnett and Cam Cote contributed to a strong team rebounding effort.
The Falcons now have a record of 5 wins and 5 losses heading into next week’s final game at Emerson. Practice today is at 3 in the Big Gym.
10. Girls’ Varsity Basketball from Coach Libby - In yesterday's girls' varsity game played here our girls showed just how much they have improved. Early in the season when we went to Bucksport they beat us, but yesterday was a far different story. Just two minutes into the game the Bucks were ahead of us 4-0. However, after that, for the next 30 minutes, our girls held them to just 5 points, including only 1 in the second quarter and none in the third!
Our girls coasted to an easy victory. Every girl contributed to the win, including Elise and Danaee who came up from the JV team to help us with numbers.
Girls, Coach Mo and Mr. Libby hope you realize how far you have come from the beginning of the season. Only one game to go! Our practice today is from 3 to 4:30.
11. Girls’ JV Basketball from Coach Stackpole - In JV GIRLS BASKETBALL last night the ladies had a rematch with Bucksport. It is always nice to play someone at the start of the season and at the end to judge improvement. The young Falcons lost to the Bucks by twenty points at the start of this season, but Ellsworth returned the favor and defeated the visitors by a score of 29 to 16.
Scoring for the Falcons were: with two points each: Jocelyn Boudreau, Elise Dow,Kylie Robidoux, Samantha Wallace Dejulio, and Kerrigan Andrews. Danaee Felix had her high for the season with nine points, and Autumn Paul tossed in ten. Abbie Barnes, Hayden Hardison, and Jenna Ramsdell played excellent defense the entire game.
12. All JV cheerleaders are to turn in their t-shirt money to Ms. Carter this morning!!!! Thank you and see you at practice at 4:30.
13. Our chess team hosted several teams in yesterday’s meet and played 128 matches. We won 73, lost 43, and had 12 end in stalemates. The following students were undefeated yesterday: Will Doty, Benton Bird, Mason Tupper, Madeline Henry, and William Wilson. The following students lost only one match: Bettina Bresinsky, Aaron Yeung, Christian Pinkham, Leanne Casin, Ryan White, Eli Powels, Isaiah Albert, and Nick Melton.
There is no chess practice today.