Morning Announcements – Wednesday, October 18, 2017
- Tuesday's winners for the Scholastic Fair Book Giveaway are:
David P. ~ 5 Violette ~ Bridge to Terabithia
Erika H. ~ 5 Violette ~ Inkspell
Wyatt S. ~ 5 Violette ~ Irena's Children
Bianca G. ~ 6 Pelletier ~ My Life in Pink & Green
Students may visit Ms. LaCasce or Mrs. Reid in the library to pick up their book.
- We will have a hat day on Friday. Students who want to wear a har will pay $1. The money collected will be sent to help students in need Puerto Rico, which was devastated by Hurricane Maria.
- The Scholastic Book Fair is being held today and tomorrow until 3PM.
- Progress Reports come out today. There will also be a letter from Mr. Newett going home with the progress reports to further explain them.
- Today is Picture Day for grades 5-8. Miss Gabbianelli will come to each room when it is time for you to come down to the cafeteria for pictures on the stage.
- Cross-Country Awards Night will is tonight at 5PM in the cafeteria. This is for the athletes and their parents. Other family members are welcome.
- Parents of 8th graders are invited to a meeting today at 5:30PM in the library to begin plans for end-of-year events. Following the meeting there will be a parent-volunteer training so those who can chaperone the Activity Night on Friday will be all set to do so.
- The K-8 Tulip planting day is tomorrow.
- Our October Activity Night is this Friday the 20th. Grade 5 has theirs from 4-6PM with an entry fee of $3. Grades 6-8 has theirs from 6:30-9PM with an entry fee of $5. Students from out of town may attend the later event.
- Parent-Teacher Conferences are on Monday, October 23 and Thursday, October 26 for grades 5, 6, and 7. Grade 8’s second night is Monday, October 23. Information about conferences comes from your child’s homeroom teacher.
- Halloween Costume Contest – Students are reminded that we will have a costume contest with cash prizes on October 27. Students are allowed to dress in costume for the day, but they can’t wear masks until the contest begins.
- Boys Soccer Schedule Update -
The boys have late practice from 4-5:30 today. ALL BOYS at school must report to Mr. Downs’ room after school unless they have a note excusing them. Bus leaves at 3:45 for Wilson Field.
Tomorrow, the Varsity boys are home vs. Hermon and the JV BOYS play away at Hermon. Bus leaves 1:30 and there is NO FOOD STOP.
- Varsity Boys Soccer Report - The varsity boys soccer team played host to the Coyotes from Old Town yesterday afternoon. After a scoreless first half, the Falcons came swooping down with talons ready to grasp anything in reach. The boys controlled much of the second half, moving the ball well and finding the open man. Old Town's defense stood tall for as long as they could but the Falcons kept sustained pressure in the 18-yard box. David Baugh opened the scoring on passes from Michael Palmer and Peter Keblinsky. From the blimp high above the field, the replay showed David using the heel of his foot. David scored another goal that somehow went in from just about even with the endline. Daniel Howie also got into the scoring when he found himself with the ball just outside the 18 and blasted a shot up and over everyone and into the net. Michael Palmer was finally rewarded by his solid efforts trying to run down thru-balls and shooting the ball past the keeper. Solid defensive play by Luke Perry, Keegan Omlor, Tanner Seura, Owen Frank, Craig Burnett, Chance Mercier and Cooper DeRaps. Great transition play by Miles Palmer, Billy Garland, and Liam Stephenson while Hunter Curtis and Lucas Fendl shared the goaltending duties. Great game boys.
Up next: 4-530 practice today and hosting the Hermon Hawks on Thursday.
- Varsity Girls Soccer Report - The Varsity Girls dominated the team from Old Town yesterday winning the contest 5-0. Casey Carter opened up the scoring on a great volley off a passing combination from Addi Laslie and Paige Sawyer. The second goal was scored by Paige Sawyer on a beautiful volley off a great corner kick from Addi Laslie. The third goal was scored by Addi Laslie on an outside shot. The fourth goal was hit in by Casey Carter off a flip throw from Paige. The final goal was scored by Jordan Berry on a nice finish from inside, off a pass from Addi.. During the second half the girls worked on their interior passing preparing for a very tough Hermon team. Overall, the girls played outstanding all game, with another shutout by goalkeeper Jane Wu.
On Monday, the girls defeated the Doughty School by a 4-2 score. Abby Bland scored our first goal assisted by Paige Sawyer. Paige added the second and fourth goals and Addi Laslie scored our 3rd goal. Way to go ladies!